Greenesha, 2014 - Ecofriendly celebration of the Ganesha festival
Greenesha is a community engagement initiative led by 2000 college students in Mumbai during the Ganesh festival
Greenesha is a unique, high impact community engagement initiative that was led by 2000 college students in Mumbai during the Ganesh festival celebrations in August and September 2014.
The campaign, aptly titled 'Greenesha' or 'Green Ganesha'- the environment friendly way to celebrate Ganesh festival, was led by Student United Ways in Mumbai. In the build up to the action packed campaign that culminated on the days when the Ganesha idols are immersed, Student United Way Champions from 20 city colleges became campaign ambassadors reaching out to the Ganesh Mandals and carrying out awareness activities.
- 600 Ganesh Mandals reached out to directly.
- 6,00,000 citizens reached out to indirectly
- 75 tons of waste prevented from being thrown into water bodies by volunteers.
- 2000 Ganesh Mandals involved in segregation and methodical disposal of waste during immersion.
- Over 1000 volunteers engaged over two major immersion days
- 150 tones of waste collected from the beach after immersion.
- Over 1000 volunteers involved in cleaning the city water bodies.
Student volunteers managed the entire campaign and led the corporate employees
in cleaning the beach/water bodies after immersion of idols, thus making this
campaign a true example collective community impact.